Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wake up Selig..


Enough already! As I hop on the Detroit Sports Nation website for my daily 25 all-star votes for Miguel “Miggy” Cabrera, I can’t help but be reminded of how stupid this process is. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind taking 10 minutes out of my day to vote the maximum number of times to support my favorite Detroit sports figures, but this process must be changed, and soon. What I mean is, enough with the fans voting for the All-Stars in sports Let the coaches and experts do it! Better yet, let the statistics speak for themselves.

Cabrera is a legitimate threat to win both the triple crown and AL MVP. Yet, he is third in all-star voting amongst 1st basemen in the American League, behind Justin Morneau and Mark Teixeira. Both popular names among the average fan, but not having nearly the season statistically Miggy is having. Morneau is obviously a major piece to the puzzle in Minnesota, and having a very strong season BA wise. He is currently batting .350, which is second in all of the majors. But he isn’t even in the top ten in the AL in RBI’s, and is tied for 8th with 4 other players in HR’s. Meanwhile, Teixeira isn’t even in the top ten in HR’s or RBI’s, and currently sits 77th in batting average with an electrifying .229 average. Thats not in both leagues, that’s just in the American League. Something tells me if he went down due to injury in New York, they would be just fine.

Now, on to my boy Cabrera. The guy is an absolute beast. He is undoubtably the most important player on the Tigers roster, and is having an absolutely sizzing first half of the season. He currently sits tied for 1st in HR’s (20), alone in first for RBI’s (66) and fifth in BA (.335). This is in all of baseball folks, not just the AL. So why is he is trailing to guys in All-Star voting who are having far less superior seasons than he is? Because the system is flawed, plain and simple. All-Star voting has essentially come down to a popularity contest, which is cool, if we’re in 7th grade.

I understand the thought of letting the fans have their say and vote for who they want to watch in the All-Star game, but when the best players aren’t selected, is it truly an All-Star game? Not to mention, the winning league of the game gets home field advantage in the World Series! So let me get this straight, you have fans deciding who plays for home field in the World Series? Does that not sound completely ridiculous to anybody else but me? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Not only do the best players not get awarded for having an amazing first half of the season, one league gets the short end of the stick on something that is absolutely crucial in all playoff sports, home field advantage.

Oddly enough, given Bud Selig’s atrocious handling of steroids and PED’s over the past decade in MLB, this really doesn’t surprise me one bit. The truly unfortuante thing is, we probably won’t see it change anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. man i couldnt agree more.....texiera in the all star game is sickening if he goes....bud selig needs to make like a baseball player and dip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah man, I can't decide who is worse, Selig or Gary Betman.

    ReplyDelete